What is interesting about the number 2009?
This time last year I asked the question ‘What is interesting about the number 2008?‘ and it turned out to be rather popular so I thought I would do the same with 2009. Of course definitions of ‘interesting’ vary but for what what it is worth here are a few things that fit my definition of the term.
- Both 2009 and its reversal 9002 are multiples of 7.
- The 2009th prime (17471) is palindromic.
- You can express 2009 as the sum of 4 positive cubes in exactly 3 ways. (Kudos to anyone who can come up with these 3 ways)
Non Mathematical fact about 2009: 2009 is a blue moon year.
Quiz: 2009 is (probably) the 44th term of a sequence that begins 1789, 1797, 1801, 1809. What is this sequence?
If you know of any mathematical reasons why 2009 might be considered as interesting then please let me know in the comments.
Update 31st Dec 2009: Thanks to the great site Number Gossip, I have discovered that
- 2009 is an Apocalyptic Number.
- 2009 is an Evil Number (for a particular definition of evil at least- there seem to be several)
Oh dear, I fear that numerology cranks are going to have a field day.