One of the problems with the format of a blog is that all posts are in chronological order which can make it difficult to find content a few months or more after it was written. This article brings together some of my favourite posts and also aims to give new visitors a flavour of what Walking Randomly is all about.
Bits and Pieces
- A Month Of Math Software – All the latest news in the world of Mathematical software every month since January 2011
- In Defense of Inefficient Scientific Code – Most computer software written by scientists is ineffcient…and that’s OK!
- ColorbarPlot 0.6 – A Mathematica version of MATLAB’s colorbar command
- Making Mathematica Faster with Compile
- Interactive Slinky Thing
- Mathematica Tutorial: Interactive Mathematics in the Web Browser
- Mathematica: The difference between Equal and SameQ
- How many MATLAB toolboxes make a Mathematica 8?
- Plotting in a loop in Mathematica
- A Parallel programming tip for Mathematica
- Mathematica’s Table function – not always the fastest way to make a table
- A random collection of bugs in Mathematica 7 and 7.0.1
- RationalQ – Testing for rationals in Mathematica
- Notes on Mathematica 7 : Parallelize on Ubuntu
- MATLAB GPU/CUDA Experiences on my laptop – A series of articles about GPU computing in MATLAB
- Parallel Random Numbers in MATLAB #1 – An introduction to some of the details behind random number generation in MATLAB
- Pendulum Waves Animation in MATLAB
- Parallel MATLAB with openmp mex files
- Which MATLAB functions are multicore aware?
- Converting from cell arrays to matrices in MATLAB
- Fun with linspace and the colon operator in MATLAB
Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG)
- A faster version of MATLAB’s interp1
- PyNAG - A Python wrapper for the NAG C Library
- NAG – The Ultimate MATLAB Toolbox?
- Mark 22 of the NAG toolbox for MATLAB released
- How to call the NAG Libraries from Excel using VBA
Other Mathematical Software
- Detexify answers ‘What’s the LaTeX code for this symbol?’
- Using SAGE to investigate the discrete logistic equation
- Interactive Fourier Series with SAGE math
- Maxima Tutorial – plotting direction fields for 1st order ODEs
- Free mathcad alternative, SMath Studio, updated to v0.85
- Simfit – A free package for Curve fitting, statistics, plotting and more
- Interacting with SAGE – Part 1
- Review of Gnuplot 4.2 for Windows Mobile
- Graphic Calculator on the Nintendo DS
- Are computer algebra bugs good for us?
- Computer Algebra Systems in odd places #1 – The Nintendo DS
Random Tips, Tricks and Tutorials
Mathematics (serious and otherwise)
- Why is a ‘minus times a minus equal to a plus’?
- Wheels on Wheels on Wheels
- The unreasonable ineffectiveness of factoring
- Quadraflakes, Pentaflakes, Hexaflakes and more
- Albrecht Dürer’s Heptagon
- Full versions of historical mathematical texts (for free!)
- What is interesting about the number 2009?
- Simulating Harmonographs
- Fibonacci numbers from matrix determinants
- The smallest positive integer that google has never heard of
- Maths Demonstrations for Christmas
- Making Physics Fun – Crayon Physics and its clones
- NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions
- Minimising the Rosenbrock Function using Mathematica
- Demonstrations for Pi Day
- The Valentine’s Equations
- The 61st Carnival of Mathematics
- The 46th Carnival of Mathematics – the last one of 2008.
- Carnival of Mathematics #33 – The rushed edition!
- Carnival of Mathematics #25 – Silver Jubilee Edition
- Integral of the week #1
- Integral of the week #2